I am re-posting here an updated prayer list from Anne Kathleen Winters. This was posted on the CRASH website this early morning of March 16th, the fifth day since the historic 9.0 earthquake that hit Japan.
Thank you very much for holding us up in your prayers.
Pastor Joseph Ricohermoso
- Days after the earthquake, heavy aftershocks are still being felt throughout Japan, with no way of knowing how long these aftershocks will continue. Some experts have said that there could be strong aftershocks of up to magnitude level 8 for six months. Please pray that the earthquakes will cease.
- Pray also for the buildings that survived the initial shock, but are being hammered by the aftershocks. Many buildings still stand, but were weakened, and because of this strong aftershocks are very dangerous.
- The devastation from the initial earthquake was compounded by heavy tsunami that hammered the east coast. Sendai City was hit the hardest, both by the temblor and the tsunami. Some towns were entirely obliterated by the tsunami. At 6 PM on Sunday, March 14th, tsunami advisories across the eastern coastal region were finally lifted, but with the threat of strong aftershocks, the threat of tsunami still loom. Praise God that these tsunami have ceased for the time being. Please pray that the affected areas remain safe from further tsunami.
- Due to the seismic activity, the ground level in much of coastal Japan actually sank, so sea water that came in during the tsunami is not receding. This is hampering relief efforts. Please pray that relief teams will be able to work safely in these areas.
- In the wake of the earthquake, fires raged throughout affected areas. Pray for the victims of these fires and those who have lost their homes.
- Hundreds of people are still stranded in damaged areas. Rescue is difficult due to the remaining tsunami water. Please pray for their swift rescue.
- Casualty reports are still coming in. The death toll estimates keep rising. There are over 2,500 confirmed dead. It is possible that the death toll could exceed 10,000 in Miyagi prefecture alone. Pray for those who have lost their loved ones. Pray for those who are trapped and injured, as well as those who are missing friends and family.
- Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated from their homes in the coastal areas and the area around the Fukushima nuclear power plants. Conditions for these people are terrible. There is a shortage of food and water; some people are getting little more than a single rice ball and a bottle of water to sustain them for a day. Night temperatures in northern Japan are bitterly cold, and there is no electricity for heat in many of these areas. Please pray for them, and all who are having to stay in public shelters.
- The future is uncertain and grim for those who have lost everything in this disaster. Pray for hope.
- Relief workers are working around the clock to rescue survivors, but reaching many victims is proving incredibly difficult due to the rubble and water levels. Pray for the relief workers, that God would grant safety and stamina.
- In Fukushima Prefecture, two nuclear power plants are under a state of emergency. At the Fukushima Daiichi plant, there have been three reported explosions so far, injuring over a dozen workers. The number 4 reactor has broken out into flames two times. Pray for wisdom and strength for those who are struggling to get this situation under control, and for the workers who are risking their lives to prevent this situation from worsening.
- Everyone within 20 kilometers of the plant has been evacuated, and those from 20 to 30 km away are being advised to stay indoors and take precautions against exposure. Pray for those who have been evacuated, and for those who are trapped indoors and frightened for the future.
- Elevated radiation levels have been detected as far away as Tokyo. To constitute a health risk, these level would have to be hundreds of times higher than they currently are. The Japanese government is taking appropriate measures to protect its people. Please pray for people to be calm and to refrain from overreacting in fear.
- Many of the stories being spread are alarmist and based on little more than panic. These stories are causing more fear and stress in a situation where people are already taxed to their limits. Please pray for the spread of proper information.
- Pray also for the weather. With radiation being diffused into the air, wind or rain could carry it into populated areas and expose people. Pray that any wind will carry radiation out to sea rather than into populated areas.
IMPACT ON JAPAN:
- Public transit systems in Tokyo and the surrounding areas are taxed to the limit by this disaster, and the transportation companies are no longer confident that the infrastructure can handle rush hour traffic. Please pray that this transportation situation can be resolved.
- Millions of homes in northeastern Japan are without power. This has led to Japanese power companies arranging planned blackouts to conserve energy. Millions of people are still without water. Pray for the power plants and water facilities to be able to resume their work, and pray for those who do not have these essential supplies.
- Pray for the Christians of Japan, that we would be able to mobilize relief efforts and provide for people's needs, both physical and spiritual. Pray also for the impact this is having on regular ministries, that Christians would be able to help their neighbors to remain calm, and that we would be able to provide comfort for the grieving.
- Pray for areas where food, medicine, and drink shortages are occurring. The Japanese government has assured its citizens that there is enough food, and has had to advise its citizens to stop buying up supplies, so that relief teams can carry supplies to those in disaster-struck areas. Pray for people to remain calm, and for relief teams to be able to get hold of what they need to help the suffering.
- Gasoline shortages are starting to become a very large problem. In many areas, gasoline rations are in effect. Pray for gasoline for those who need it.
- On Sunday afternoon, Shinmoedake volcano on the island of Kyushu erupted, spewing ash and boulders into the air. So far, no casualties have been reported. Pray for the safety of the people of Kyushu.
- Pray for the Japanese economy, for which the outlook was grim even before this disaster. Since the earthquake, massive losses have been posted, and there is no telling what impact this disaster will have on the economy for the long term.
PRAY FOR LOVE ON JAPAN | CRASH QUAKE RELIEF
- Pray for relief teams that are on the ground, assessing needs in disaster-struck areas, and providing supplies to evacuees. Pray for their safety and maximum effectiveness in providing relief for the suffering.
- Pray for supplies, especially gasoline.
- Pray for salvation and hope for the people of Japan, and pray that Love on Japan can do its utmost to spread hope and the love of Christ in this difficult time.
- Pray for stamina for all those working relief; for enough rest, for emotional fortitude, and unshakeable faith.